Chico - Northern California Homeless Hatred
"Chico City Council Fueled Hate Crimes And Bigotry"
R-Town armed private guards roaming downtown removing homeless and giving them tickets for the crime of sitting or laying down ? Sub standard law enforcement hired for a perceived sub standard lower class of homeless American citizenry somehow devoid of the civil and constitutional rights and freedoms we all enjoy ?
Chico California has a homeless shelter crisis, and the local chapter of the ACLU agrees.
Downtown merchants allegedly threatening to "hose " homeless off the streets and sidewalks returning to the days of Birmingham and Martin Luther King with what seems like a stamp of approval from the City Council granting what can only be described as spiritual oppression, and a clear message of homeless having no right to exist.
And in of all places Chico California ?
Life on the Streets of Chico
"There is a generation, whose teeth are as swords, and their jaw teeth as knives, to devour the poor from off the earth, and the needy from among men."
Proverbs 30:14
Please meet Arturo, 96 years old, homeless.
"Life on the streets of Chico and Beyond"
"Listen, my beloved brethren: Has God not chosen the poor of this world to be rich in faith and heirs of the kingdom which He promised to those who love Him?"
James 2:5
Chico Peace and Justice Center
"On armed guards and impoverished citizens"
“Is this not the fast that I have chosen:
To loose the bonds of wickedness,
To undo the heavy burdens,
To let the oppressed go free,
And that you break every yoke?
Is it not to share your bread with the hungry,
And that you bring to your house the poor who are cast out;
When you see the naked, that you cover him,
And not hide yourself from your own flesh?"
Isaiah 58:6-7
"Chico Community is Everyone - Right to Exist"
Comments
Well said.
there but by the grace of god go i.
Also, homelessness is a national issue. Pushing it somewhere else isn't going to solve it. It's just going to keep coming back, because every community is doing the same thing.
The world is full of horrible things, ignoring those things and pushing them away does not change that fact. You'll have to deal with bad things all the time, and just because some homeless person said some stuff around you doesn't mean every homeless person is like that. Homelessness is not some sort of scarlett letter that turns people into bad people. Judge people based on their actions, and let the courts do the same.
This is blatant discrimination, and if you don't believe that it is, then you're a bigot and you're lying to yourself.
I moved here from Santa Cruz almost two years ago and I have never experienced a more heartless town. I moved here to buy a cheaper house and get a masters degree at CSU; however, not a day goes by that I don't think I've made a mistake, especially since the passing of the unconstitutional "sit/lie" ordinance! I know I'm only one woman, but I just joined he ACLU and I'm boycotting almost all of the downtown businesses (the ones the have allied themselves with the R-TOWN creeps). Do not give up hope! There are people in Chico who value people for what is in their heart and soul. I will add the GardenWalk to my *&^% list! Bless you!
While the local police and park rangers have indeed stepped up harassment of homeless folks through enforcement of existing laws, this is first I've heard of R-Town guards giving tickets which they have no authority to issue Even after the law takes effect in a few weeks only sanctioned authorities, like the police, can issue tickets.
Regarding the gentleman who was hosed by a shop owner, while that is unquestionably despicable behavior your phrasing made it sound like a pattern rather than an isolated incident, and so I beg you to clarify. Is there a pattern of hosings and threats of same? If so please share more if possible.
Straying from accuracy allows one's opponents to easily dismiss all your other arguments.